Module 2: Stress and Illness
Covers Blueprint Area II: Stress, Coping & Illness
If you need to retake the exam you will need to reorder the exam or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Andrew Crider, PhD, BCIAC
This module is designed to help you:
- Describe and interpret research on the relationship between stressful life events and the risk of illness.
- Distinguish between sympathetic-adrenomedullary (SAM) and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical (HPA) stress response pathways and describe their physiological effects.
- Discuss the health consequences of both SAM and HPA activation in reference to specific psychological and physical disorders.
- Discuss the implications of psychoneuroimmunology for understanding psychosocial influences on immunity and immune-related illness.
- Discuss psychosocial mediators of stress in terms of cognitive factors, personality styles, and social support.