Ten Tips for Successful Sleep
|ISMA Home||ISMA Branches||ISMA Journal||ISMA Resources||ISMA Newletters Archives|
Zoe Seeley, PhD
1. Go to bed and get up at about the same time each day. Aim for quality sleep, not quantity.
2. Make sure your sleep environment (bed pillow, room, etc.) is as comfortable and dark as possible.
3. Don't go to bed with a full or empty stomach.
4. Cut down on stimulants such as coffee, tea and soft drinks during the day and avoid in the evening.
5. Don't drink alcohol or smoke before going to bed.
6. Get some regular exercise, preferably during the day.
7. Don't nap during the day.
8. Develop a sleep ritual-a nightly routine that eases you down from the day's activities.
9. Use your bedroom for sleeping and relaxing, instead of working and worrying.
10. If you can't sleep, get out of bed and do some-thing relaxing such as reading, stretching or deep breathing.
OVER AND OUT
Sleep yields energy, clarity, and optimism and fuels our emotions to cope with life's challenges. Yawn. Sleep is essential to life. Mmmmmm. Pleasant dreams and good night. Zzzzz.
Better Sleep Council. (1990). The Sleep Better, Live Better Guide. Washington, DC: Author.